Friday 19 July 2013

This Evening.

A soft summer breeze
Was stroking the trees
And cooling the air
By about ten degrees

There, now: a ditty with a pragmatic slant for once. But it was exceedingly pleasant.

*  *  *

I’m getting used to this French coffee, and I think I know how I might make acceptance complete. I’m drinking it out of a mug at the moment. Isn’t one supposed to drink French coffee out of a bowl? Or at least, isn’t that the Gallic way of drinking it? And don’t you think that if the style were to be emulated, the full experience might be accentuated? I must ask around the charity shops in Ashbourne next week to see whether any of them have coffee bowls.

I grew up in the heart of the British ceramics industry, and it was always said that tea tastes much better out of a China cup than an earthenware one.

*  *  *

I was reading some comments on an old blog post earlier, and I realised something. Making the transition from being acquainted with a person to actually knowing them can come as a result of a single look in the eyes, or physical gesture, or statement of preference, or small flight of imagination. It can be the key which unlocks the door to a deeper level beyond the surface persona. I could offer a list of examples, but I don’t think I will. That sort of thing is private.

No comments: