Saturday 13 July 2013

Reviewing Romance.

I wrote this to somebody in an e-mail recently:

‘For people like us, romance is about nothing more than uncertainty and discovery. It’s like leaping off a cliff into the sea. All the excitement is in the leap and the fall. Once you hit the water, all that remains is a tiresome swim back to the shore so you can climb the hill and do it all over again.’

When I wrote it, I’d had a little more than my usual prescription of Scotland’s finest export, so did I agree with it when I viewed it through the cold filter of sobriety? Mostly, yes, but with a couple of reservations:

a) It’s a bit more complicated than that. The greatest benefit of alcohol is that things look simpler when you’re under its influence.

b) Rules are not to be trusted unless there are exceptions to prove them.

No comments: