Tuesday 16 July 2013

Resisting the Trend.

Since time immemorial, the word ‘trend’ has been only a noun. When did it become a verb? Who made it so? As far as I can tell, people like Facebook and Twitter made it so.

Do I like that? Not really, mainly because I’m a serious detractor from the sort of shallow, brainless stuff that modern culture serves up these days. At the same time, however, I approve of language evolving, and so I’m in a quandary. I expect I’ll get used to it one day.

This trending’s offending
The bleak, never ending
Reluctance of Luddites
Like me

To go with the bending
Of pressures descending
To levels so shallow
And twee

And so I’m pretending
To scoff, while ascending
To rarefied places
And be

The one condescending
(While only suspending
The urge to be cool
And agree)

No comments: