Monday 1 July 2013

Being Comfortably British.

There’s something comfortably British about noting the time by the blue gilded clock, newly mounted on the front gable of the village hall to commemorate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. Queens who have Jubilees are in relatively short supply these days, and I suppose there’s something comfortably British about having one – not to mention also having a village hall on which to mount a clock in celebration.

There’s even something comfortably British about the time it showed as I walked past it this evening. Twenty to ten. Twenty to ten on a warm and quiet twilit evening among the arboreal splendour of the English countryside is just about the perfect time, or so it seemed to me in that moment. Maybe it reminds me of something long hidden but not totally forgotten.

6 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I've just read this with toast and marmalade and a lovely cup of tea. You've put a warm and peaceful smile on my face as I join you in a touch of comfortable .

JJ said...

And I'd just walked past loads and loads of elder flowers, and thought of you. They were all growing next to loads and loads of hemlock.

Anthropomorphica said...

Therein lies the problem ;)

JJ said...

Hope you can tell the difference now. No having hemlock fritters with chips and mushy peas.

Anthropomorphica said...

Thankfully, yes! Though I am eyeing my rowan tree with suspicion, just in case it's a pretender...

JJ said...

Rowan tree? Explain?