Wednesday 10 July 2013

Madame Mazumah Says...

A character in one of my stories says ‘You can tell a lot about a person by the kind of smells they like.’ Well, my favourite smell would most likely be sandalwood (all because of those elephants my uncle brought back from Burma, I expect. The same uncle appeared in one of my stories, you know. He was the model for Uncle Eric in Odyssey. His real name was Albert, but anyway…)

Then it occurred to me that, with a bit of imagination, you could probably write a best selling book on What Your Favourite Smells Say About Your Hidden Personality and become a millionaire in about twelve months. (Note the word ‘hidden,’ by the way; that’s the clever bit. Mystery, you see.)

It’s a bit like those What the Stars Hold for You features in tabloid newspapers and cheap magazines, usually written by people with made up names that are supposed to sound exotic, but really just sound sub-juvenile. They can write whatever they want, can’t they, and nobody could ever know whether or not they just made it all up.

(Actually, I think you can tell a lot about a person from the kind of smells they like, but that’s another story.)

*  *  *

I’ve decided that I really dislike that silly noise Skype makes when you load it, and I dislike the noise it makes when you close it down even more. I only load it for Zoe, you know, just in case she’s in the mood for her annual chat.

No comments: