Sunday 7 July 2013

Respecting Life and Things Living.

You remember me saying in a recent post that I wasn’t happy about weeding because I found it uncomfortable to pull growing things out of the ground? Well, I seem to have found a way round the problem.

As long as you put the stuff in the compost bin where it can go through the natural cycle of rotting down to replenish the earth next year, you don’t have to see it in terms of ‘weeds’ and ‘weeding.’ Instead you can think of the plants as crops and the process as harvesting. There now, that’s better.

The next job is to persuade myself that I can, if I really want to, pick slugs up off the road and take them to the verge so they don’t get run over. They’re so slimy, you see, and I hate slime.

(If you think this is bad, imagine what I was like as a kid. ‘Dad, dad, please don’t kill the mouse. Catch it and take it outside. Please… don’t… He did.)

No comments: