Saturday 27 July 2013

Melancholy Music and a Meeting with Queens.

Here’s another thing I haven’t posted in a while – some favourite music.

I’ve long been a little in awe of June Tabor, especially the way her dark voice seems to find light and meaning at the more melancholic end of the spectrum.

Now I’m also a little in awe of Martin Simpson’s guitar playing. It’s the sort of thing I was heading for once, but I fell way short. I simply didn’t have the innate musical nous to turn mere style – which I could manage reasonably well – into advanced technical skill of this magnitude.


So now I have to decide whether to carry on with the new story, which continues to grow as the meaning demands to be expanded. The old man is in the process of meeting three queens – Princess, Life, and Priestess – on a barge carrying him to somewhere I haven’t discovered myself yet. It’s the sort of thing which requires just the right kind of mood – offbeat, maybe a little transcendental, but clear-minded.

I think I’ll have a drink and listen to some more music instead.

No comments: