Thursday 4 July 2013

The Magic of Egypt.

What’s happening in Egypt at the moment is such a shame. All this real world stuff – civil disorder, the fight for democracy, warding off Islamisation, military coup d’etats…

This isn’t what Egypt means to me (even though it should be.) Egypt is the epitome of exotic connection. Egypt is about my early days as a photographer, when I ate, drank and slept the business of capturing images. Egypt is about the Biblical stories I revelled in as a kid (I was fascinated by the headdresses they wore in the illustrations.) Egypt is about the cult of Isis and the mystery of the pyramids. If it has a real world connection at all, it would revolve around Golden Brown, Kate Bush and the Lady of the Valley.

I have an album of music called Immortal Egypt which I play in the car a lot, and this is a favourite track. If you’re going to play it, and if circumstances permit, play it loud and with the bass given priority.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You beat me to it Jeff with Kate Bush but here she is anyway in all her Egyptian glory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6mTxSqo7iI Egypt by Kate Bush from the album Never for Ever.
Rob.

JJ said...

Anon: You're welcome, whoever you are.

Rob: I had that album when it was current, and I loved that track. That was why I listed her. Didn't know there was a video, though, so I'll look forward to it.