Saturday 27 August 2011

Two Little Irritations.

Somebody told me recently that I’m ‘a comfort.’ Somebody else told me that I’m ‘intriguing.’ Yet a third person said I could ‘talk about the deeper things in life.’ I suppose I should be grateful for such compliments, but there’s something missing. I only want what I want, that’s all. Is that so terrible?

--------------------------------------

I’m reading my novel again, just to see whether it still strikes the same chords. And do you know what I’ve found? Three bloody typos! How many times did I re-read and edit that book? And still there are three typos. A copy editor would have been useful. Damn. I suppose I can take some comfort from the fact that I read the best-selling novel Obssession last winter, and there are several typos in that. Good job I'm only an idealist and not a perfectionist.

5 comments:

Zz... said...

it could be worse...people could say "you're old enough to be my father!!! ;)"

see...you should never to be TOO grateful for anything, lol

met a nice man last night...my mum even commented she really liked him...about 25+ years too old though...lol similar vintage to you...that is my natural click i think...

Helen said...

How about "one of a kind" or "special"? :)

JJ said...

Never had 'you're old enough to be my father,' Z, but I have had 'you're old enough to be HER father.' So? What? You trying to pair me off with your mother now?!

Thank you, Helen. Much appreciated. The commonest one I get is 'weird.' Your profile pic is lovely, by the way. Isn't it interesting how eyes so simply drawn can carry so much meaning?

Maria Sondule said...

I asked people to describe my parents in one word, so I could compile it and make it into a poster for their christmas present.
One person said my mother was "prone."
I think intriguing is a step up. :)

JJ said...

Prone? How odd. Mmm... I'll take 'intriguing.'

I decided to think what one word I would use to describe you, since you keep paying me the compliment of hanging in there after some of the comments I make on your blog. The first to spring to mind was 'shining.' Then I thought of the codicils. Ha! Ignore me.

You have some good ideas, don't you?