Sunday 14 August 2011

Questioning the Clever Sound Bite.

There’s something too self-consciously grand about some of those little sound bites of wisdom that profess to proclaim profound truths. I don’t mind things like ‘All the world’s a stage and all the men and women merely players.’ What I have a problem with are those that flaunt their clever conciseness and expect us to take it as proof of their unquestionable veracity. Things like:

Any existence deprived of freedom is a kind of death.

This is perfectly true in some situations, but as a general axiom it’s unsatisfying. Firstly, you have to define ‘freedom.’ And it might be equally well stated that any existence in which freedom is all you have can also be a form of death.

2 comments:

Zz... said...

the italicised statement is one that I hold close to my heart but as you allude to...yes perhaps it is mere illusion...or misperception. Humans are good at that. I think some of us ;) eg the ones that think too much make existence seem more painful than it needs to be.

JJ said...

I didn't mean to imply either illusion or misperception, Zhen. I was just making the point that life is rather too complex for a single sound bite. I think people place more store by them than they deserve, that's all.

As for thinking too much, let's put it this way. If you're a natural thinker, you have to think, otherwise you're denying your nature - not being true to yourself. And the more you think, the more you see the bigger picture and the more complex patterns. That's a fact. And sometimes I do switch off because sometimes it gets too much.