Sunday 7 August 2011

Gaining Sense or Losing Sanity.

I had one of those odd ‘sense moments’ again this evening when I went out at dusk.

I stood down on the lane where the bats usually hunt, but there were none to be seen for once. Nothing else moved either, since there was no hint of even a light breeze. We’ve had a lot of rain today and everything was sodden. The western sky was still bright, but heavy, deep grey clouds hung close to the horizon where a thin line of red hugged the trees on the skyline. I was standing under the branches of the biggest of the centuries-old sycamores, and the only sound was the tip-tap of water falling from the upper branches onto the lower ones. There was a pronounced chill in the air, uncharacteristic of early August.

Suddenly, a bat flew at speed across my eye line and circled my head. And then it came back, time and time again, coming so close I could almost feel it, but still there was no sound. A sense pressed itself strongly into my mind. Three times the soundless words said ‘There are secrets here.’

A cow bellowed and a dog barked somewhere in the distance, and the reverie – or whatever you want to call it – was gone.

I sometimes wonder whether I’m coming closer to understanding reality, or just heading for the funny farm.

No comments: