Wednesday 3 August 2011

The Need to Shine.

I saw a product called Rinse Aid in the supermarket today. According to the bottle, it makes the dishes sparkle more brightly.

Well, I’ve been washing dishes manually and drying them with a tea towel all my life, as did my mother all her life and as did all the women I lived with during the time I lived with them (and nobody ever got ill from it, by the way.) My dishes shine as well as my heart could ever desire, if my heart were inclined to have such a desire. So, I suppose this Rinse Aid product is meant for those who use dishwashers, but it still invites the question:

Are people really so needful of shiny crockery that they will squander money on the pursuit, and expose themselves to yet more artificial chemicals into the bargain, or is this another example of manufactures making something completely worthless which  they can then persuade the gullible public to buy?

No comments: