Monday 8 August 2011

The Word Paradox.

I’ve often said that the written word is inadequate when it comes to expressing more extended nuances of meaning. Paradoxically, though, even a few simple words can sometimes have a hell of an impact. Two short phrases that gave me the greatest thrill over the last year came in dreams:

‘E-mail me?’ and ‘Yes yes, you may.’

Pity we have to wake up, isn’t it? Although I suppose it is ill advised to complain of waking up.

‘I stand by everything I said,’ however, came in an e-mail.

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I think people use e-mail to often as a replacement for speaking on the phone. Or in person. However, I'm a huge hypocrite because I use e-mail and facebook more often than the phone.

JJ said...

Well, it does give you the chance to consider and edit what you want to say. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your point of view, I suppose. And it became established at a time when it was cheaper than the phone for connecting with people a long way away. Now we have Skype, of course. Plus, it gets over the time distance.

I do agree, though. The more personal the connection is, the more there is likely to be understanding.

You came into my Feedjit as Maryland, by the way.