Saturday 20 August 2011

One Man's View of the World.

I was talking to a car mechanic this morning. Oddly, for a car mechanic, he’s probably the most widely travelled person I’ve ever met. We got onto the subject of travel, and I thought I’d post four little snippets of what he said:

‘Funny lot, the Aussies.’

‘I’ve always said I’d like America if only there weren’t any Americans there.’

‘I was worried about going to Iran, but I needn’t have been. The food’s crap but the people are OK.’

‘I can see you in northern Thailand.’

My American buddies might be happy to know that I defended you. Why I should be seen as a match for northern Thailand remains a mystery.

4 comments:

Nuutj said...

My hubby's elder brother mentioned that foreign men like to come here to spend retirement; many live with younger girlfriends and Thai girls take good care of them.

Yes, I personally know an American whose uncle has younger girlfriend and living in the north of Thailand.

JJ said...

Oddly enough, Mei-shan, the man I was talking to mentioned this very fact, but he also pointed out that the foreign men need to be reasonably wealthy so as to fill their half of the 'bargain.' That fact rather excludes me, even if I were minded to do it.

Jeanne said...

Thank you for defending me. You are most chivalrous!

JJ said...

This is a big, big subject, Jeanne. I could write copiously on it. European attitudes to America and Americans are in a constant state of flux.

All I can say briefly is that my own attitude has changed dramatically since I started blogging. My earlier suspicion has changed to fascination. America seems to be a micocosm of the world: the best and the worst. I'm glad I'm seeing the good side now.