Friday 26 August 2011

Sweeping Away the Bad...

Stage one of the revolution in Libya is almost complete; the tyrant Gaddafi is all but defeated. Stage two has already begun, it appears. Peace, reconciliation and justice for all? Er... no; widespread abuses and revenge killings.

I remember reading once about the aftermath of the French Revolution – about how the babies of royalist sympathisers were taken from their mothers and nailed to church doors.

And it could happen here, as it could happen anywhere. All it takes is the right shift in circumstances to shave off the thin veneer of so-called civilisation.

Don’t you just love the human race?

2 comments:

Nuutj said...

Normally, I don't share politic topics on Google Reader but I decided to share this. It happened too many times.

I don't love human race that's why I decided not produce another human. (This is not true though. : P)

JJ said...

Though I long since left Christianity behind, Mei-shan, my Christian upbringing instilled into me one value that has never left:

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I suspect that Jesus was actually teaching the doctrine of karma, and the point got missed as a result of Christianity aligning itself with the Judaic tradition, but never mind. Even as a general principle, it made sense to me as a child and it still does.