Friday 12 August 2011

Life, Mischief and Rightness.

I had an e-mail this morning that quite stunned me. It reminded me yet again that life often takes a seemingly mischievous pleasure in tossing you what you least expect and saying ‘There you are. How are you going to handle this?’ And what continues to surprise me is that I rarely react to the unexpected as I would have predicted.

So then I took a walk to clear my head and consider my response.

The hedgerows are at the point of maximum growth at this time of year, and haven’t yet begun to fade. It lends their appearance an air of wildness, an unkempt aspect that is both rich and ragged until the autumn takes its toll and the farmers trim them back to neat conformity. The air was warm, still and sultry. The animals grazed contentedly, the emerald meadows lay unruffled, and the crops in the cornfields stood proud and golden. It was a dreamlike scenario, and for once the sense of melancholy seemed almost right.

No comments: