Monday 1 August 2011

What's Left?

I don’t come from a line of long-livers. Neither side produced any genuinely old people, and I’d be surprised if I have more than about twenty years left. I’ve no doubt they will pass very quickly, so I could do with finding some profitable way of using them.

This has been much on my mind recently. What to do with the time there is left?

Finding a hobby won’t do; learning to grow big vegetables won’t do; gathering together a community of friends won’t do; seeing the world’s great tourist sights won’t do. Having my novel read by a lot of people would be nice, but that’s out of my hands and is passive anyway. I think the clue lies in a recent post; the only thing that is ultimately meaningful in life is experience, because that’s the only thing we can take with us when we go.

So does this mean I have to consciously do something to get it? Maybe not, since I’m the sort who can gain experience from watching a leaf flutter in the breeze. It’s simply a matter of making connections and seeing the layers of meaning. Furthermore, I’ve found that the most rewarding things in my life have come not from deciding what I want and going for it, but through chance circumstances and encounters. In that sense at least, I’ve always been an opportunist. It seems, therefore, that:

The watchword must be vigilance.

The keyword must be experience.

The process must be instinct.

The only problem with all this is that I’m impatient, and I would rather choose the experiences than having them handed to me un-vetted. Tricky!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

But would you learn anything from an experience if you were able to choose? Life gives us experiences for the lessons we are to learn from them. If we already knew the lesson, then there would be no need for an experience.

JJ said...

I've discussed this idea a lot with Helen lately, Jeanne. We're no longer sure it works that way, but maybe.