Friday 26 August 2011

Life in Desolation.

We had a lot of rain today, which kept me indoors doing several of those little jobs I’ve been putting off. It cleared for a few hours in the afternoon though, so I got my usual walk in and found myself talking to the farm animals a lot. They seem to like me talking to them. Maybe they sense how fond of them I am, or maybe they’re intrigued that a human creature is taking an interest in them. Or maybe it’s something else. Who knows? And then the rain returned, so I did some more jobs in the house.

The heavy sky brought the dusk down early. Everything dripped in the quiet, damp air. It felt desolate. I like it like that, because it’s only when all the visual and aural distractions are removed that the energy of nature flows forth. That’s when the garden, the trees, the hedgerows, the wild flowers, and the land in general feel most alive. I’ve said all this before, but I never tire of letting it sweep over me.

No comments: