Tuesday 30 August 2011

New Story Posted.

Actually, it isn’t a new story; it’s one I wrote years ago. I’ve been putting off posting it because the determinist rationale might be tediously dense for some tastes, and also because it’s a rare venture into something like science fiction. I changed my mind; I decided there was nothing to be lost in putting it up there.

Something has occurred to me. In nearly all my stories involving mystery and/or the supernatural, there’s a woman who takes the upper hand. Sometimes she’s human flesh and blood, sometimes she’s enigmatic and other-worldly. I think this is because it’s always been women who have, consciously or otherwise, pointed me in the right direction to look for answers to the deeper and more searching questions. Men are generally more inclined to be driven by pragmatism, or at least be seen to be so driven. It’s what the culture expects, and most of us are unerringly inclined to obey cultural expectation. The likes of Albert Einstein are relatively rare.

4 comments:

Helen said...

Did I have something to do with that? :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

JJ said...

Partly - the bit about cultural expectation and Einstein. I'm glad you asked because...

I started to type a long comment on your last blog post, basically about having followed a similar road, along with a bit about how I deal with it. And do you know what? Part way through the second paragraph the whole comment disappeared. Poof, it went.

So, I decided I wasn't supposed to make it for some reason. Either that or my local little folk were in a mischeivous mood.

Helen said...

Sorry I missed it. There are plenty of busy gremlins in blogland. :)

JJ said...

All sorts of things seem to have been busy around me all my life, Helen. The moving shadows on the wall and floor remain my favourite.