Monday 1 November 2010

A Commentator's Faux Pas.

I had an idea that I’d posted this story before, but all efforts to find it have drawn a blank. Maybe it was on some other forum in a galaxy far away. So here it is again, or for the first time, or whatever.

England were playing a cricket match against the West Indies. The legendary West Indian fast bowler, Michael Holding, was running in to bowl at Peter Willey, one of the English opening batsmen. The BBC radio commentary ran:

‘And in the first over after tea, the bowler’s Holding, the batsman’s Willey.’

A period of silence followed.

4 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

One of the late Brian Johnstone's gems, I believe.

JJ said...

I think so. I was going to do the 'Botham couldn't get his leg over' story, but the concept of 'out, hit wicket' seemed too difficult to explain to those unfamiliar with cricket.

Anthropomorphica said...

I'm sniggering

JJ said...

Good. I like you best when you snigger.