Tuesday 16 November 2010

Fairies Again?

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that there was a little mystery going on in my house. I kept finding the CD player in my living room switched on, and I couldn’t think of anything to explain it. That seems to have stopped now, but another one has taken its place. First, I have to make two rather sad confessions.

Now that’s it’s getting colder, I’ve started wearing pyjama trousers in bed. If that isn’t shameful enough, it gets worse. When I make the bed in the morning, I fold them neatly and put them on a chair. Should I wait for you to stop laughing, or may I carry on? OK, here’s the mystery.

I keep finding one corner of the trousers folded back against itself. It’s been happening for a couple of weeks now; it happens nearly every day; it happened again tonight. The chair on which the trousers are placed is in the farthest corner of the room, and I have no need to go anywhere near it during the day. In fact, I’ve had no reason to go into the bedroom at all today. So who or what keeps folding one corner of my pyjama trousers over?

And another interesting little coincidence. I sent one of my stories to a publisher tonight. It’s a ghost story, and the opening scene is set in that bedroom. I remember the line ‘Don’t insult me by believing I’m not real.’ So, if it isn’t the fairies that are messing with my pyjama trousers, maybe it’s Abigail.

Helen often said I should be careful what I write, because of the danger of creating an overlapping reality. Maybe I should. Maybe you should, too.

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

If you don't normally wear pyjama trousers, do you wear an ankle-length nightgown? I can't believe a gentleman would sleep with his bare buttocks rubbing against the sheets.

Anthropomorphica said...

Just pray it's not a boggart! Gorilla Bananas comment has had me in hysterics, I would have gone for socks and a Wee Willie Winkie hat.
What are you manifesting Mr B?
Could be your Robin playing tricks!

JJ said...

I decline to elucidate further! Pride, and all that. Let's just say that if Abigail turns out to be the culprit, my practices will probably change. Depends on whether she's warm or not.