Sunday 28 November 2010

Feeling Victimised.

You might remember that I was having a problem with an old back injury a couple of weeks ago – how it finally eased, and then I had to do some more clearance work in the garden which made it flair up again. A couple of days later I got a call to go and help the old man next door. He’d fallen and couldn’t get up, so I had to go and lift him into his chair. That doesn’t do bad backs any favours. And then today I awoke to the sight of a healthy covering of snow that had fallen overnight, so I spent the first hour or so after breakfast clearing about 120ft of path. Backs don’t like that, either. As Julius Caesar said (according to the film Carry on Cleo)

Infamy! Infamy!
They’ve all got it in for me.

And I don’t remember it ever being this wintry in November. I’m typing this encased in four layers of clothing, including a heavy, lined woollen jacket with a lambswool collar. And when you scatter coal ash on the sloping path to try and make it safer, you end up tramping half of it into the house every time you go in and out. That’s one of things I dislike about winter – the fact that it’s so messy. I think I could do with living in a warmer climate.

No comments: