Wednesday 17 November 2010

Random Thoughts.

A few random thoughts to wile away that awkward period between the onset of darkness and feeling ready for dinner.

Of all the nasty people in this nasty little government, the nastiest is probably Ian Duncan-Smith. That man oozes superiority and class consciousness like a particularly rancid form of sweat.

I gather that W and K (I decline to type their full names any more today) delayed their engagement because they wanted to concentrate on their careers. It’s good to know that they’re among the relatively small number of people who have jobs. But then, people in their position don’t have any problem getting a job. Ironically, people in their position don’t even need one.

Before anybody jumps in and tells me that the unemployment figures took a slight fall today, I already know that. Unemployment figures are, however, easily manipulated (I got that one from somebody in the Department for Work and Pensions) and tell the story from a misleading angle. More to the point is how many people are in work. It is interesting to note, for example, that only 38% of the over-fifties in Britain are employed.

In similar vein, I have a personal problem with the whole ‘career’ concept. Careers label a person, which makes them OK, I suppose, if you don’t mind being labelled. I do.

And just to change the subject, there are three things that make my house cold: wind, rain, and low external temperatures. We have all three today, so I’m cold. What doesn’t help is that this week’s heavy gardening work has resurrected an old injury to my lower back, so now I’ve got backache as well. There’s two probable reasons why I’m moaning a lot today. There are others.

Later, maybe.

No comments: