Tuesday 23 November 2010

Favourites

I couldn’t answer the question ‘What is your favourite film?’ There can be no one film that overrides the influence of mood and the current perception of priorities. When I was a young teenager, I would have said El Cid. I was big into the heroic stuff then. More latterly, I would have said Funny Bones. But for a while recently, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was favourite. Tonight, I would definitely say Amelie.

Oddly, this doesn’t apply to drama. Waiting for Godot has been number one to me for sixteen years now, and I doubt that will change.

I don’t see any reason why anybody out there should give a toss. I’m rambling.

And now I’m off for an early night.

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I got waiting for Godot to read last year, thinking it was a science fiction play (oh how woefully uninformed I was) then I discovered it was not that and ended up not reading it. But when I do this year for school I'll let you know what I think.

JJ said...

Can't imagine reading it cold, Maria. Blimey! What a prospect! If I were you, I would definitely try to see it performed first. Having watched it five times, I subsequently saw a performance of Krapp's Last Tape (did the production photography for it) and loved that, too.