Tuesday 16 November 2010

The Downside of You Tube.

Most people agree that seeing a performer live is better than listening to a recording. But that’s only if you’re there to feel the presence, the atmosphere and the energy. Watching a live performance on video is often vastly inferior to listening to a good recording.

That’s true of Dark Night of the Soul, and it irks me that so much of my favourite music is only available on You Tube as videos of relatively poor live performances.

I sense that this blog is flagging.

2 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

That irks me as well. The sound quality is never as good, and I don't really want to listen to people screaming over the words of the song. I think there might be one Celtic group that stands as the exception to this, but that's only because they sound just as good live as in the recording somehow.

JJ said...

Yes, audience noise isn't good for a playlist, and neither is having to listen to the performer taking up the first two minutes introducing the song. Who was the Celtic group? I saw Patrick Street live once, and they were exceptional.