Thursday 11 November 2010

The Best Form of Compliment.

I’ve hit writers’ block again today. I can’t think of anything worth posting. Well, I can, but it would just be another socio-political rant against the stupidity of people and politicians, and I can’t be bothered. Which amounts to the same thing. And that’s a pity, because my blogging ego – such as it is – received a welcome boost today with the receipt of some excellent comments.

Somebody once said (and his or her identity is apparently open to argument) that ‘Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.’ It’s a strange phrase that carries a note of the absurd if you consider the received definition of ‘flattery.’ It should, perhaps, be ‘the sincerest form of compliment.’ But let’s not split hairs; we all know what it means. The question is, though, that while it might be the sincerest form, is it necessarily the best? I was reminded today that it’s quite a compliment to be shot at for having the temerity to stick your head above the barricades. Praise is very common on blogs, but swingeing criticism is remarkably rare. Being attacked from several quarters is a bit like being the nutty Viking who defended Stamford Bridge in 1066, and that’s no mean comparison.

I’m exaggerating, of course. At least my fundament was under no physical threat from a psychopathic Saxon with a pointed stick. Nevertheless, I still feel somewhat boosted.

But, to no avail. I’m still bereft of ideas. Must be the weather, or maybe the fact that I saw Sarah walking up the lane today with her cocker spaniel and she didn’t notice me. Worse still, she might have been consciously ignoring me.

Hey, ho. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Excellent comments? I hope you are not referring to the bilious twaddle written by one or more pompous anonymous bores. Your use of irony is far superior to your judgment of comments.

JJ said...

I was referring to them actually, my friend. It wasn't the nature of the comments I found excellent, but the fact that when people shoot at you, at least you know you've wound them up. And trust a gorilla to get the joke. Thanks.