Thursday 27 September 2012

Being Properly Simian.

I’d say that I’m about average build. I’m 5’8, have a 38” chest, a 32” waist, and I reckon my arms are reasonably in proportion with the rest of me. So why have nearly all the upper body clothes I’ve bought over the last few years been a little too narrow in the chest, a little too full on the waist, a little too long in the arm, and sometimes a little too short in the length?

Could it be due to the fact that most of our clothes are made in Asia these days? Are Asian men a different shape than northern European men? If so, could somebody please show them a picture of an average northern European man and get them to change the proportions?

On the other hand, could it be that the clothing industry doesn’t want us to have a natural shape any more. Does it want us all to look parallel? If that’s the case, could somebody please tell them that I don’t want to look parallel, and I doubt there are many men who do? I want the bit between my upper arms to look wider than the bit beneath my rib cage. I’m a gorilla at heart, and I want to look like a proper gorilla. The next time I'm charged by Eric the Bull and I put my hand up and say 'whoa,' I want him to stop. I don't want all the other bulls egging him on with 'Go get him, Eric. He's just one of them wimpy parallel types. No problem, mate.' Do I?

No comments: