Sunday 16 September 2012

Meaningful Activity Update.

I painted the door frame. I did. It took three hours and made me dizzy, because gloss paint usually has that effect on me. It also has another effect, but maybe I shouldn’t talk about that one.

So now I’m grounded again – grounded, that is, in the sense of being psychologically more stabilised, not grounded in the sense of not being allowed to go out and play. I sometimes forget that the odd American reads this blog. Actually, quite a few Americans read it, and they all seem a bit odd to me. But then, you’d have to be a bit odd to bother reading this, wouldn’t you?

OK, so where does this post go from here? (I’m doing stream of consciousness tonight.)

I know – South Richmond Hill, NY. South Richmond Hill is trying to confuse me, winging in on two different computers now. Well, a Mac and a tablet to be precise. You see, that would be considered a bit swish over here in Britain where nylons are still rationed and only Tories can afford peanut butter, but maybe it’s normal in America where everybody has a car to match each pair of shoes.

What next? Dentist – I have a follow up appointment at the dentist tomorrow at 4.45. He offered me an 8.30am appointment at first, which left me speechless for a second. 8.30am has a chilling ring to it. I seem to recall that the air is cold and the light harsh at 8.30am. The very sound of it reminds me of the days when people made me do things I didn’t want to do, like going to school. It makes me shudder. Offering me an appointment at 8.30am is like offering Father Jack Hackett a glass of water. ‘I don’t do 8.30am,’ I managed to stutter at length. ‘My life begins at lunchtime.’ ‘Oh I see,’ replied the dentist with thinly disguised contempt. ‘How about late afternoon?’ His nurse sniggered for some reason. Maybe that was something to do with her Greek ancestry, too. I really like her. I do.

I just read the Wikipedia article on Harrison Ford, he of the partial denture and a wife called Ally McBeal. I discovered how much older than me he is, which was a nice surprise.

I hope it doesn’t rain tomorrow – windscreen wipers, you know.

No comments: