Monday 17 September 2012

Tea and Waiting.

I just went and made another cup of tea. That’s what Brits do if they’re tired, anxious, depressed, irritated, bored… You name it: if it’s negative, the panacea is another cup of tea. Hence the old story:

First old lady: ‘It’s windy today, isn’t it?’
Second old lady: ‘No, it’s Thursday.’
Third old lady: ‘So am I. Let’s have another cup of tea.’

That’s about where I’m at right now. Maybe I should stop speaking American. Back in the good old days when the English still spoke English English, we never said ‘where I’m at.’ Neither did we say ‘No way!’ And ‘Hey, man’ was a mere languid legacy of Woodstock, used only by the new and fleeting breed of English male who not only valued flowers, but even watched them grow in the rain.

It’s all about waiting, you see…

No comments: