Saturday 29 September 2012

Welcoming What Isn't There.

Remember the partial denture I had fitted to fill the two gaps in my lower teeth, one on either side? I gave it a trial period of three days and intended to persevere for a week, in spite of the pain and discomfort. I thought my mouth might get used to it and everything would be OK. Something other than pain and discomfort tipped the balance.

This contraption consists of two ‘teeth’ attached to a little plate that fits behind and below the front real teeth. It also has two wire clips that grip the existing teeth either side of it. And guess what happens – food gets stuck underneath the plate and clips and you can’t remove it without taking the whole denture out. That means taking it out every time you eat something and cleaning it. Not very practical, is it? The alternative is to have a gradual build up of masticated and slowly festering food in your mouth all freggin’ day! After three days, the prospect was turning my stomach, and dear little denture had to go. Welcome back gaps.

Those gaps have been there since I was a child. They’ve been with me through hell and high water, through successes and failures, through tears and laughter, through combat and romance, through delirium and despair. They’ve accompanied a non-poet through a sometimes Byronic life.

So welcome back, old friends, and damned be he (or she) who cares that you don’t exist.

2 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Welcome back, gaps!

That does sound too bothersome to deal with. I had to wear these expansion things as a teenager before i had braces and then retainers afterward for a while and they were real pains in the ass. I had to take them out every time i ate and i accidentally threw them in the garbage several times while in the school cafeteria and once at a Chinese restaurant. Had to be dug out of the garbage. The last last time that happened i decided to just leave it in there.

JJ said...

Fortunately, the gaps are far enough to the side to be only visible when I scream.