Thursday 20 September 2012

The Kitchen Sprite.

I have four plastic magnets in the shape of mice à la Beatrix Potter on the front of my fridge. They’re arranged in a vertical cascade, and sometimes I find that number three has turned through 90° and is lying on its side instead of standing upright. No mystery there – I’ve always assumed it slipped due to vibration when shutting the door. This morning it wasn’t on the front of the door, but had been moved to the side of the cabinet. That isn’t vibration. It happened overnight and I’m the only human in the house – at least, the only live one. And maybe that gives the clue as to how the switch on the socket into which I’ve got my kettle plugged frequently gets turned off. I only do that when I go to bed; I have no reason to do it during the day and never remember having done so.

I just asked the culprit to start being useful for a change instead of playing tricks that don’t really help very much. My mother used to have the same thing happen, so maybe the sprite is family.

No comments: