Saturday 15 September 2012

The Ostentation Equation.

There was a big, black, brand new Mercedes driving out of the car park today. The driver looked like one of those types who like to describe themselves as ‘a self-made man,’ which I suppose is an oblique way of saying ‘I am God.’ Or else a professional type who charges £500 to open the door and smile, and then the meter accelerates from there. In any event, the sort whose pride dictates that they must never let a pedestrian cross in front of them, not even when the pedestrian has legal right of way.

Whenever I see that sort of thing, my brain always flashes up two equations:

Shiny new Merc = Ostentation

Ostentation = A weak mind and trash culture.

Am I being an inverted snob again?

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

Yes, lol. I drive a Mercedes :P

It isn't new though, but its nice.

JJ said...

But the make isn't material, Andrea. It's the principle of driving around in a car that's bigger and more expensive than hardly anybody else can afford, just to swank and show the world how important you are.

Repairs must cost you a king's ransom!

Wendy S. said...

I think of testostorene poisoning. ( I know I spelled testostorene wrong, but I'm too lazy to look up how it's spelled.)

JJ said...

You're right, Wendy. I like 'testosterone poisoning.'

andrea kiss said...

It was given to us by my future father in law, so i drive it. That's all. Imagine the car of a man that gives away a Mercedes... he's a nice man though, not like the guy you saw.

JJ said...

OK, you're forgiven. As long as it isn't pink.