Tuesday 22 May 2012

A Sad Sight.

There’s a road kill on the lane outside my gate, a rabbit that is still recognisable as such, but otherwise pretty mangled. I expect it’s the one that’s been visiting my garden lately.

It had to be a rabbit, didn’t it? Anyone who knows me knows of my fondness for wild rabbits, and how Rabbit was my favourite character in Odyssey. The one consolation, I suppose, is that it will provide food for my new crow visitors, so maybe fewer baby birds will be taken from the nest.

Do you know, I’ve only seen two road kills this year, and they were both outside my gate. Maybe there’s a hint I should be taking. Maybe the rabbit is part of some overall process relating to me. Or maybe I’m just being fanciful as usual.

3 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

It's hard not to be upset about seeing rabbits like that, I'm the exact same way about them. It'd be a pressing task to find a more innocent and harmless looking thing.

We have a small family of tiny baby rabbits living under the ferns along the back of our house. Or using it occasionally as a hiding place. Baby rabbits, and tiny lambs, I think are the absolute epitome of cute and innocent.

Hello there Jeff, it's been a while.

JJ said...

I had to rescue two baby rabbits from rats once. Poor things were screaming horribly.

Hello, Kaetlyn. I assumed when you made your blog private that you wanted to be incommunicado.

So, now the torture is over, do you have a title of some sort - Baroness Kaetlyn of Cleveland, maybe, or at least some letters after your name?

KMcCafferty said...

Oh it's only private while it sits empty and I decide what to do with it. For now I'm using the other one; anmarcach.blogspot.com.

Screaming rabbits is an awful awful heart wrenching sound. Every so often I hear it around here.

And nothing fancy for the name. Just another line on a piece of paper that I still don't know what to do with.