Thursday 24 May 2012

Moving Through the Fair.

I made my last nocturnal walk tonight, until the days shorten again later in the summer. All in all, it was a bit of an anti-climax. Although the air was warm and sultry, the sky was cloudy so the Lady Venus and Mistress Moon were in hiding. I expect Venus will have dropped below the western horizon when I resume. And the Lady B’s household seemed to be in the process of retiring, since there were only upstairs lights on, and even one of those went off as I walked past. There was a single star keeping a lonely vigil in the eastern sky, and – me being me – a line from the most classic of Irish folk songs came to mind:

He made his way homeward with one star awake
As the swan in the evening glides over the lake.

I said my au revoirs to the trees, of course, and I swear they reciprocated. Call me mad if you like, but they looked closer, more enveloping. It wasn’t difficult to feel a sense of being in receipt of an arboreal embrace.

So, tomorrow the raven-haired Mistress of Mill Lane jets off to foreign climes. It’s just a short holiday to her, but she has no idea what it means to me and I have no intention of telling her. Fortunately, she’s unlikely to read this post so it won’t matter. As, indeed, it shouldn’t and doesn’t.

OK, so I am mad. I’ll probably post a few more pictures in a minute. I’m on the second beer at the moment because I’m thirsty. The scotch can wait until the thirst has been slaked.

No comments: