Wednesday 30 May 2012

Are We Not Amused?

It’s the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations this weekend, and there are union flags littering the place everywhere (let’s face it, it isn’t the prettiest of flags – hopelessly over-complex, for one thing.)

Ashbourne has done it slightly differently. They’ve got strings of bunting all over the town, but they haven’t used union flags. They’ve used alternating pennants of red, white and blue, the effect of which is to look more Gallic than British.

Which is amusingly ironic, don’t you think?

*  *  *

And while I'm on the subject of Jubilee celebrations, I have to decide whether to show my face at the village do on Saturday. It carries great personal risk for me, you know, and I'm not about to divulge the nature of that risk, so you'll have to be content with the plain fact.

6 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I'll go if you go. hahaaha

JJ said...

Would you hold my hand and protect me from the grumpy grown ups?

andrea kiss said...

Yes i will. I will carry a big stick and no one will come near us. Or i just won't bathe from now until then... if you forgo bathing as well then our combined stench will stave them off.

JJ said...

Did I mention you're odd?

andrea kiss said...

I prefer peculiar. Its more PC. jk

JJ said...

In UK usage, 'odd' is the gentlest. 'Peculiar' is stronger, though little used these days (which is one of the reasons why I like it.) 'Weird' would be the strongest.