Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Dining Car.

Remember the dead rabbit I wrote about last week – the road kill outside my gate? It had gone by the following morning and I assumed a fox or something had carried it off for supper.

When I went to get my car out this morning, I noticed something furry lying in front of the nearside back wheel. It turned out to be a rabbit skin; just the skin, no flesh. I could be sure it was a rabbit on account of there being one ear still attached, and the white bit of the tail was lying a few inches away.

All of which suggests that something had picked up the mangled body and taken it under my car to eat it. Should that please me, I wonder. Well, I suppose it’s one way of getting close to nature.

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Hmmm, a dining car!
It's a little disconcerting finding empty skin, down the road from me there's a small flat patch of a hedgehog that once was.
P.s. bloggers verification has become even more annoying!!!!!

JJ said...

I know, horrible isn't it?

I don't think it has. They have real words now. I think you're in a grumpy mood.

Will you be posting an update on the dogs, by the way? That was impressive.