Wednesday 16 May 2012

Today's Ashbourne Notes.

So can I make a blog post out of today’s visit to Ashbourne? Mmm... let me see...

Since my blog tends to be a little oversubscribed with stories of encounters with women, you wouldn’t want to hear about the strange woman I encountered in the health food shop who looked French and kept smiling at me in an exaggerated manner and saying ‘excuse me’ and then laughed at things I was saying to the shop assistant, would you? No. So what else?

*  *  *

My search of the charity shops was partially successful today, since I found a passable fruit bowl. Still no summer weight sweaters, though, and now I’m looking for a pair of good quality jeans because my current best jeans are going strangely out of shape. Yes, I know I am too, but it really is the jeans. Honest.

*  *  *

I didn’t forget a single thing in the supermarket today. I forgot three.

*  *  *

I was looking at ladders in the hardware shop and couldn’t believe how many health and safety notices they had plastered all over them. Things like ‘Be careful on ladders, you might fall off’ and ‘Don’t place your fingers between the rungs when contracting the ladder.’ Really useful stuff that otherwise wouldn’t have occurred to you.

*  *  *

I picked up the latest processed film and prints. Having spent all my photographic career using transparency film, I’d forgotten just how poor commercially made prints are once you get outside the comfort zone of contrast and tonal range. Nevertheless, bad as they are, I’ll put a few up as another picture post later. And here’s an interesting thing:

Remember the accident I had with my camera equipment in the church a couple of weeks ago? Having picked everything up and discovered that there seemed to be no significant damage, I recomposed the shot and took it. It hasn’t exposed. The ones I took later have, just not that one. This leads me to suspect that Ralph, 12th Lord Fitzherbert, didn’t want his picture taken, and that it was probably his ghost that kicked the equipment over. Bloody Normans!

No comments: