Wednesday 23 May 2012

Village Oddments.

Guess what came to the village today, for the first time (as far as I know) in the six years I’ve lived here. A bloody ice cream van! And guess who knew he was too far away and wouldn’t get to it before it drove off again. Bloody typical!

*  *  *

We’ve got a village gossip. She’s one of those who makes it her business to know everything and everybody. I asked her today:

‘Do you know whether those two caravans have taken up permanent occupation on the land by the pub?’

She answered with practiced authority:

‘No. They’re booked in for two weeks. They’ll be leaving on Saturday.’

How does she know that? I decided that village gossips can be quite useful, as long as you manage them properly.

*  *  *

I made the acquaintance of a very handsome husky today. What beautiful eyes those dogs have.

5 comments:

andrea kiss said...

At this very moment i am eating ice cream for the first time in a long time. Its Cherry Garcia.

Do the ice cream trucks play music?

Is Ashbourne like Cranford? haha just kidding.

JJ said...

To me, ice cream has to be vanilla. Ice cream must taste of vanilla just as much as an orange must taste of orange. I'm old fashioned like that.

The ice cream trucks make a sort of noise that can be imagined to be music if you have either no taste in music or a wide ranging, but impoverished, imagination. To me, they tinkle.

Who or what is Cranford? Sounds Jane Austen-ish. (I've never read any.)

andrea kiss said...

Well my ice cream does taste of vanilla and has cherries in it.

Ice cream trucks here sound like odd music boxes.

Cranford is sort of Austen-ish. Its by Elizabeth Gaskell. Actually i'm not sure if the name of the book or books are titled Cranford, but that is the name of the mini series with Judy Dench. Its very good. One of my favorites.

JJ said...

Cherries indeed! You Americans are so spoiled. I'll bet you have ketchup on your dries, too.

Ice cream trucks here sound like odd music boxes with crackles and broken springs.

I think we get Cranford, but I watch so little TV now. I expect Cranford was modelled on some version of Ashbourne, somewhere in England.

JJ said...

...er... 'fries?'