Thursday 31 May 2012

The Trial of New Things.

I find it happens with nearly every new device I have to learn how to use. Today it was the new remote control that came with the new TV.

Stage 1: The familiarisation phase. I have my reading glasses on and look at each button carefully because I’m not used to where they are yet, so I get it right.

Stage 2: The complacent phase. Now I think I’m used to it, but I’m not. So that’s when I turn the TV off instead of muting it. Or bring up some weird screen, the purpose of which escapes me and which I don’t know how to get rid of. Or maybe I’ve changed something, or unwittingly set something like a timer – which I did with my last set and wondered who the hell was turning the TV on while I was upstairs taking a shower at midnight!

Stage 3: Weeks later. Now I’m used to the damn thing and I can relax.

*  *  *

And on the subject of TVs, did you know that when they first became popular, the instructions included something to the effect of ‘Always switch the set off before attempting to move it.’ This led to the widespread belief among the first generation of TV owners that sets weighed more when they were switched on. True, apparently.

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

Can't remember did I ask you if you have seen game of thrones? Made Elderflower cordial and fritters for the first time yesterday, delights, delights!

JJ said...

Yes you did. No I haven't - yet.

Your elderflowers must be early. Ours are some way off yet. Elderflower fritters? Will you be making elderflower wine? Can I come?