Friday 11 May 2012

The Great Atlantic Divide.

I watched several videos on YouTube last night, all about the tension between British and American lifestyles and accents. My favourite was a webcam recording by a pretty and charming young American woman. It was called something like ‘My First Three Days in England.’ She was absolutely lovely, but she looked fairly distraught and utterly mystified, poor girl. Another was an American video called ‘Why I Hate Brits.’ Yet another was a Late Show recording of Ricky Gervais giving the 'five stupidest things Americans ask Brits.'

I wonder whether we’ll ever get this thing sorted. In a way, I hope we don't. There's something reassuringly nice about having a whole nation of people to rant about, even though you're actually on rather good terms with them. (Shhh...)

No comments: