Friday 5 April 2013

Finding the Vain Greek Lady.

I decided to put my reputation to rights tonight. I went out armed with a notepad, and drew a little constellation near Polaris that’s been intriguing me for some time.

So there I stood, flagrant and guiltless on a verge in Mill Lane of all places, wrapped up in the coat-that’s-falling-apart, scarf, wellies and woolly hat, torch in mouth and pen in hand, sketching the shape the stars made.

‘Ha!’ I thought. ‘I might appear to be a complete nutter, but at least I shall remain unblemished by any suspicion of being a Peeping Tom or a ne’er-do-well who’s casing the joint with a view to stealing the silver. Got ’em.’

Then I compared my sketch with a star map that I found by searching ‘constellations near Polaris’ and found it. It’s Cassiopeia. What a pretty name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that should fool the locals then

JJ said...

Quite the contrary, Anon. If it shows them anything at all, it will be the truth of the matter.