Monday 15 April 2013

Observing the Connection.

My excellent acquaintance Maddie says that ‘the need for control occasionally prevents her from enjoying the spontaneity of life.’ Well, that got me thinking.

To some extent, I feel the need for control, too. In my case, though, it isn’t the only thing that prevents me from enjoying the spontaneity of life. A bigger factor is my need to observe.

The problem with, or value of, spontaneity is that it encourages unconditional connection with a person, situation, or whatever, unencumbered by external considerations. It’s like walking into a wood. You can see the detail in the nearest trees, but you can’t see the wood in the context of the surrounding landscape. I need to see both at the same time, and that inevitably dilutes the connection. On those occasions when I allow entirely spontaneous behaviour, I always feel in retrospect that I’ve missed something. I’ve let the bigger picture pass me by unnoticed. And that leads to a question:

Are the need for control and the need to observe two different psychological traits, or is the need for control a corollary of the need to observe?

2 comments:

Madeline said...

Or is observing a way of controlling the situation?

JJ said...

Or is the practice of observing merely a by-product that develops out of the need to stay a little apart, just in case something happens that you can't control?