Wednesday 10 April 2013

Talking of the Tyrant.

I said I wasn’t going to make a post about Mrs Thatcher, didn’t I? That’s because the very thought of her makes me angry and even a little depressed. Unfortunately, however, there’s no getting away from the woman in Britain at the moment, so maybe I should screw my courage to the sticking place and attempt a modicum of exorcism with a few words.

The right wing politicians and the right wing press are making great capital out of the fact that a lot of people from the lower levels of British society have been holding parties to celebrate the death of a tyrant. I wouldn’t attend such a party for several reasons:

a) I would consider doing so to be indecorous.

b) I would consider their common banner – ‘The Witch is Dead’ – to be an insult to witches (even though I realise which film they got it from.) I’ve known a few witches in my time, and they were all rather worthier people than Mrs Thatcher.

c) Her death is of little consequence, since she hasn’t been able to add to her devastating policies since she was ousted from power by her own party in 1990. By then, even they had realised what a liability she’d become. (Although it is an interesting fact that present members of the same party are now lauding her as a ‘great leader,’ whilst turning the might of their firepower on the nasty little creatures at the bottom of the social heap whom they address with the pejorative term ‘welfare dependent.’ They conveniently forget, of course, that welfare dependency was effectively non-existent before Thatcher’s policies created it.)

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to. I just want to get through next week and finally see the back of her. And although I wouldn't have attended any celebratory party, it hardly surprises me that others did. There is, however, one thing troubling me.

One of the right wing tabloids carried a typically crass headline to the effect that the British people had voted Thatcher the title of ‘the greatest Prime Minister ever.’ Well, I don’t know whether that poll was conducted genuinely, or whether it was manipulated to produce the ‘right’ result as opinion polls often are. If it were true, however, that a representative cross section of the British public had so voted, I would have to state unequivocally that I’d suddenly become ashamed to be British.

No comments: