Sunday 28 April 2013

Cheering the Bad Guys.

I seem to have the Nazgul on the brain at the moment. I’ve mentioned them in two recent posts, and I wonder whether that amounts to a form of obeisance. It’s just that I’ve more or less decided they’re my favourite characters from LOTR. They strike me as the most powerful and realistic.

Not that I like them, you understand. They’re nasty. They even had the temerity to chase our beautiful Lady Arwen on their black horses and wave their swords at her, the bounders! Such behaviour is utterly inexcusable to a gentleman of high principle, but you must admit: they do have a sort of inverse charm.

And maybe there’s a lesson to be learned here. Maybe we should like them. Maybe we should cheer when they come a-riding. Maybe they would be so mortified at being liked that they would melt from the very shame of it.

*  *  *

There’s a big moon the colour of butterscotch rising behind the tree in the corner of my garden. It looks creepy.

No comments: