Sunday 14 April 2013

More Mid Evening Notes.

I was astonished to read that Barack Obama’s presidential salary is only $400,000 a year. How can a chap maintain an aura of importance on a salary as low as that?

*  *  *

I was checking the state of the grids in my lane, and remembering those hours spent in the downpours last autumn, clearing the blockages so as to relieve the road of its role as a temporary river. One of the Shire residents drove past in his big new something-or-other, stopped, and said in a tone of great indignation: ‘If this was snow, we wouldn’t be able to bloody move!’ He seemed to think that it was all somebody's fault.

*  *  *

The weather has turned a lot milder here. Night temperatures are about the same as the daytime temperatures were in my kitchen a couple of weeks ago. The wind remains a bit fresh, however, and the daffodils are ‘fluttering and – as it were – dancing in the breeze.’ (With credit to Sue Limb. I got that from her book The Wordsmiths at Gorsemere, which is very, very funny in parts, though out of print I think.)

*  *  *

I’m going to post a letter when I go out for a walk tonight. That should bring a note of respectability to my nefarious activities. And the post box is next to the phone box, so I can say ‘hello’ at the same time without arousing suspicion. Oh, the subterfuge…

No comments: