Tuesday 16 April 2013

The Green Bin Mystery.

In Britain, one of the many receptacles now issued to households by local authorities for the purpose of recycling is the Green Waste Bin. It’s for compostable waste like garden trimmings and vegetable peelings. They’re collected once a fortnight, and the next collection in this area is scheduled for 25th April.

I filled mine with garden trimmings yesterday, but when I checked it for remaining space this afternoon, I found it empty. So who emptied it, and why did they come into the garden to get it? On collection days I always put it out by the lane, as everybody is required to do.

I rang the waste department of the local authority and spoke to a woman who said she was mystified. The next collection is indeed due on 25th April, and they have no vehicles in this area today.

Oh.

I think it was emptied by a consortium of locals looking for something with which to incriminate me. Anything. ‘Just find an excuse to hang him from that ash tree in Church Lane. We don’t want his sort here. Have you seen the age of his car?

I’m kidding. I think. The mystery remains.

No comments: