Saturday 16 April 2011

Worship by Any Other Name.

I’ve been browsing a few Tumblrs lately and I’ve noticed that there seems to be a trend among young people to be in thrall to excessive sex, excessive violence, excessive darkness, and the mindless version of anarchy.

I think I’ve made it plain that I’m no moralist and no great fan of the Establishment, but I do like balance and I dislike the worship of excess, darkness and anarchy just as much as I dislike the worship of God, morality and the system. It strikes me that running with the crowd one way is essentially no different than running with the crowd any other way, and worshipping things is generally a symptom of running with the crowd.

And just in case they should happen to read this post, I should add that I’m not referring to either Zoe’s or Carmen’s Tumblrs here.

5 comments:

Della said...

Hear, hear!

JJ said...

Do you know what, Della? Until a few months ago, I thought that was spelt 'Here, here.' A common mistake, apparently, but still shameful.

Maria Sondule said...

Someone I know thought Aye-aye was spelled eye-eye, so don't feel bad.
And are these young people? They'll learn.

Della said...

Don't be ashamed. I only knew it because I remember reading somewhere that it was an abbreviation for "hear him, hear him!" which has something to do with the British parliament. That is, if I remember correctly :)

JJ said...

Mariah: You mean you're not into darkness, decay and the Red Death holding inimitable dominion over all? Get a life.

Della: Yes, indeed. I read recently that it came from the British parliament. Something of rare worth above the drivel, eh?