Saturday 23 April 2011

Nihilism and Present Fears.

I’ve just been reading Wikipedia’s article on nihilism. It says:

Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.

On that basis, it seems I’m 2/3 a nihilist. Good. That explains 2/3 of my madness then. It continues:

Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived.

Couldn’t agree more, except it doesn’t cover the distinction I make between morality, which I consider abstractly contrived, and ethics, which I don’t.

Never mind, let’s just carry on and see how things develop. At the moment I’m more concerned about the very convincing illusion of the here and now. Just when I thought my problems with the letting agent were sorted, I get another worrying piece of correspondence from them. The sense of insecurity engendered by these people is unsettling. It must be obvious from recent posts just how much living here means to me. This piece of earth and I have grown so close that being separated would be very painful.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I do hope all goes well for you and that you get to stay in your home.

I'm right there with you when it comes to morals and ethics.

Leave some gifts for the Fey who had your pen knife. They may help you keep your home :o)

JJ said...

I'm thinking I might give them the pen knife and buy another one. It was amazing to find it lying there after all these months. Quiet touching, really.

andrea kiss said...

It is amazing, and touching. Maybe they just wanted to let you know they are looking out for you.

JJ said...

Hope so. I seem to be catching sight of them more strongly these days, out of the corner of my eye at twilight. Glad you understand.