Thursday 7 April 2011

Connecting.

I’m concerned about Sarah. I got to have a proper, close-up conversation with her today – first time in over a year. What I noticed most were the lines radiating from those eyes that used to radiate only youthful loveliness. There were too many of them, more than had any right to be creasing the eyes of a twenty-five-year-old. I’m sure they weren’t there the last time I was that close to her.

She told me she wasn’t at her best, but she was OK. I’m not so sure.

And I heard Elgar’s ‘Nimrod’ from Enigma Variations while I was driving home. I’ve been listening to that since I was about twenty, and it still gets to me – every time. Then Helen rang and we talked for over an hour. It’s been a day of connections. I even divested an elderly woman of a ladybird that was crawling up the arm of her jacket. She asked me not to kill it. As if!

Funny how these things all come at once.

4 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

A warm day indeed Jeff! Of course you wouldn't dispatch a fine red ladybird but then, she didn't know.
By the way you're cordially invited to Spain from May should you ever wish to come!

JJ said...

Ah, I suspected as much. Still a tent and nettle soup three times a day?

Anthropomorphica said...

If you're lucky ;)

JJ said...

I've been asked to go the west of Ireland, too. All I need now is a lot of money and somebody to take over the bird-feeding duties. Oh, and some virgin's blood to bathe in, to regain my youthful vigour. All that walking up hills!