Thursday 7 April 2011

Being Circumspect and Positive.

The landlord’s agent e-mailed me today in response to some information I’d sent him. He addressed it ‘Jeff’ and signed it ‘Hugo.’ Like we’re chums, or something. Mmm...

It strikes me that the most dangerous enemy is the one that smiles at you. ‘False face must hide what the false heart doth know,’ and all that. I prefer my enemies to snarl. If I have to fight battles, I like them to be open and honest.

Or does this indicate that he’s not quite the enemy I thought him to be? Keep an open mind and my guard up, I suppose. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, the builder who said he would be here for a week and that ‘there won’t be much noise’ has been here for three weeks and is making a hell of a lot of noise. Still, at least it gave me an extra nudge to get out of the house and plant the seed potatoes this afternoon. I’d call that a positive reaction to a major irritant. I would.

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I'd be wary of a too chummy approach, but then I'm stinkingly cynical and far too suspicious. But yes good for you to get out into the garden, has it been glorious in Derbyshire too?
by the way I met a charming working cocker spaniel by the name of Hugo today.

JJ said...

1) Me too.

2) Beautiful. Mostly sunny and quite warm for early April.

3) He wasn't working as an estate agent, by any chance?